Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bar-B-Q Barn

PLANO: Bar-B-Q Barn
2129 W Parker Rd.
Plano, TX 75023
972-867-5550
Open M-Sat 11-8:30


Stepping into this strip mall storefront, I was greeted at the door by a stuffed bear adorned in a white waiter's vest and a Little Joe cowboy hat. Far from a barn, this joint was pure suburbia. At 2:30 on a Saturday, it was empty, although threats of Hurricane Ike may have dampened business. I ordered a two meat sandwich with brisket and ribs, and the owner informed me that ribs have bones in them. After my OK, he built my sandwich anyway. The St. Louis style ribs had a dark crust, but little smoke or any other flavor. The tenderness was fine, but they were a bit mushy from prolonged storage. The brisket was worse. The crust was non-existent as was the flavor. Any flavor that remained was pure roast-beefyness. I wouldn't bother again, even to laugh at the bear maitre d'.

Rating *


Bar-B-Q Barn on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Plano Mark said...

This place is only a mile from home. I've been there a couple times, never real impressed either time. I decided to go today since the BBQ bug hit me on the way home. I got the three meat plate with the ribs, brisket, and pork. The non-flavor comment is spot on. Too bad, cause the meat was tender, just a whiff of flavor.

The stuffed bear ain't there either.

Anonymous said...

I've lived in Plano about 8 years. This place is on my way to work and close to places I go to on a weekly basis. Not once have I seen more than 2 cars in front. I always make it a point to look because I'm waiting for the day it closes. Bad location

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT