Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bar-B-Q Crib


DALLAS: Bar-B-Q Crib
4315 S Buckner Blvd
Dallas, TX 75227
214-275-4008
Open M-Thur 10-10, F-Sat 10-12am, Sun 12-9


Smoke bellowed from the smoker out behind this tiny joint in the shadow of a Buckner Boulevard overpass. Most of the other customers had come straight from church, so I was a bit under dressed, and with only two tables in the place, I opted for takeout. As my order was being put together, I admired the photos and t-shirts hung on the wall. Most of the paraphernalia was related to black leaders or the Bible, so I enjoyed the sense of humor displayed with the D.E.A. t-shirt...that's short for Drink Every Afternoon.

My order arrived along with a smile and a sincere request to "Please come back". My car was filled with a smoky smell when I opened the brown bag. A rib sandwich was piled high with several thick meaty chopped spare ribs. They had a great smoky flavor that was complemented by the sweet spicy sauce. These ribs could have been more tender, but the fat was well rendered, and the flavor was enjoyable. The brisket suffered the fate of most slabs of meat that are not left on the smoker long enough. The meat was fatty with little crust and no smoke line. There was little smoke flavor, and not much flavor at all beyond roast beef. I was told by a fellow customer that the hot links and stuffed potatoes were to die for. I guess I'll try them along with the ribs on a return visit, as I plan to steer clear of the brisket.

Rating**
Bar Bq Crib on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

PM Summer said...

Had the brisket today for lunch. Huge portion (dry sliced sandwich), good crust, nice smoke ring... but dry and relatively flavorless.

High on style points, though. I too shall try the links next time... and maybe the guilty sin of the $1.69 chopped beef sandwich.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT