Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thwarted BBQ search


I had plans for an 1-1/2 lunch where I'd hit three joints as quickly as possible. I had just found Turner Bros. BBQ on a lunch trip to Wingfield's (arguably the best, and probably the largest burger in Dallas), and would have stopped that day if not for the group of ravenous burger hounds in my car. I made a mental note and returned as soon as I could. The scene didn't look too great when I pulled up with blackened windows and debris strewn about the empty asphalt lot. An old-timer across the street informed me that I was a few days late. A fire causing major damage had just closed this joint down a few days earlier, and there's little hope it will open again.

The next stop was Teal's Ribs in Cedar Hill. I learned of this tiny joint when I issued the BBQ Challenge (no longer in effect) on Sidedish, and "william" alerted me to a couple of joints I had missed in DFW, including Teal's Ribs. It took a while to find the place, as it's tucked between a truck rental placed and a barber shop. The handwritten sign on the door said "Closed until April 28th due to surgery". Two strikes.

A short trek back up Highway 67 led me to the other joint that "william" alerted me to, Dave's BBQ. It was open, and it was packed (full review forthcoming). Finally, some lunch. If you're out there "william", I'm still willing to buy you a BBQ lunch somewhere. They closed down the comments on the Sidedish page before I could write back. Give me a shout.

- BBQ Snob

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT