Friday, June 3, 2011

Bodacious Bar-B-Q (Mt. Pleasant)


MOUNT PLEASANT: Bodacious Bar-B-Q
100 West Ferguson Road
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455
903-572-7860

Open M-F 10:30-8, Sat 11-7

www.mountpleasantbbq.com


Update: This joint is CLOSED and has become a location of Outlaw's BBQ. The menu is nearly identical.

2011: Once again I had some mediocre BBQ at a Bodacious in Sulphur Springs to begin a long road trip. It only took a few minutes after my tweet for someone to suggest the location in Mount Pleasant. I saved it for the trip home, but had second thoughts as I drove through a hail storm along I-30. The clouds seemed to part and the rain stopped as I neared the exit for Mount Pleasant. God seemed to be telling me that Bodacious gold may be in my near future.



To be fair, it was 4:00 in the afternoon when I ordered. Ribs were gone for the day and the brisket tasted like it had been sitting around for a while. The fat was well rendered, and the meat was nicely tender and still moist after the long storage. A good smoky flavor was missing and it could have used more seasoning to fill the void. This would have made a good saucy sandwich, if there sauce was any good. Pulled pork with its bits of black crust made for some smokier meat. The meat was impressively moist with plenty of flavor. Sides were standard fare, with crispy fried okra and well seasoned green beans. While not overwhelmingly stellar BBQ, this location was one of the better that I've tried.

Rating ***
Bodacious Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best location of that group....by far!
Cook With Wood

Nick said...

My wife worked at Bodacious in Longview when she was in high school. She tells me that they dont put any seasoning on the brisket. Straight out of the cryovac into the smoker.

Nick

Cody E said...

Nick is correct. No seasoning on the brisket except for wood smoke.

Anonymous said...

That would be wrong on the brisket seasoning. I have worked at four different locations and all but one rubbed their briskets.

Anonymous said...

I have long wondered if this Bodacious is actually affiliated with all the others in East Texas? Every other one seems to have a similar sign/logo, but to my knowledge, this one never has.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT