Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Hog Pen


LEAKEY: The Hog Pen
373 US Highway 83
Leakey, TX 78873
830-232-4868
Open Thur-M 10-midnight
www.thehogpenstore.com


The sun was setting was setting as we go tinto Leakey (pronounced Lakey), and we realized there was no hope in getting to Bandera before nightfall. Bar-B-Q was on the sign so I went inside to investigate further. I was fifth in line so I saw the order taker scoping out presauced chopped brisket from a crock-pot whenever a brisket order came up. No thanks. They were out of ribs, but the smoked boudain was still available.


Photo by Nicholas McWhirter

Smoked boudain is on of those things you might find in the piney woods of East Texas, but out here it was rare. Most folks just use the smoker to warm these spiced up pork and rice filled links, but these were black with smoke. I was hopeful until I bit into what tasted like the lit end of a cigar. I think a puff of smoke emerged as the casing snapped. I removed the charred and creosote covered casing to try just the filling. It too was more smoky than I could take. I was literally coughing from the smoke and the spice wasn't tame either. Driving another hour east, I finally found another BBQ joint where I could get this taste out of my mouth.

Rating *

2 comments:

Doug Zedler said...

Did you photoshop that to make it look like a turd, or was that it's actual coloring? :)

BBQ Snob said...

No photo revisions on this end.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT