Saturday, May 8, 2010

Firewheel Farmer's Market


When I heard there was a booth at the Firewheel Farmer's Market called "Brisket Heaven", you know I had to get right over there to verify the claim.



But first, I encountered the colorful booth of Double Throw Down BBQ, and their mounds of pulled pork. I opted for a pork sandwich naked. The sandwich was a great mixture of black smoky crust, moist and tender meat, and silky smooth fat. I barely bothered with the bun just scooping up this excellent meat with a fork. If I didn't have another sandwich in my near future, I would have gotten another.



Just a few tents up from Double Throw Down BBQ is the initial reason for my trip. Brisket Heaven had no smoker, and a spartan table set up.



While they were definitely serving brisket, this was a tender pot roast that doesn't attempt to pretend to be smoked. I was disappointed only because of my expectations. The sandwich itself, with well seasoned tender beef, a chunky vinegar slaw and a hot pepper relish together on a soft white bun made for a great lunch. Just don't show up like I did hoping for smoked meat.



After you've finished whichever sandwich you choose at the Market, be sure to top of your lunch with a cake from Ain't No Mo Butter Cakes. These are some of the best tasting and most moist cakes I've ever eaten. You can also pick one up on your next trip to Smokey John's.

- BBQ Snob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slaw on beef?

den m said...

Brisket Heaven - $15.00 bucks a lb. No thanks. It can't be that good, and would never be worth it. The best places in that state don't charge that much.

BBQ Snob said...

Agreed. It's a good product, but it takes much less effort to oversee the workings of a crock-pot than a smoker. They should be charging less.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT