Monday, May 24, 2010

Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q

Smithfield's is a North Carolina based chain that specializes in fried chicken and BBQ. By BBQ in North Carolina, they mean pulled pork. After finding my website, the kind folks over at Smithfield's offered to send a sample of their meat to me for my own enjoyment. It arrived this week, so I enjoyed it on some sandwiches with a few friends.



The meat lacked the bark I was expecting, but the tang of vinegar filled the air as I warmed the meat. The pork was shredded nicely, and had plenty of moisture.



The meat was good, but even better stacked onto a buttered bun with sauce and slaw. It made for a great way to begin my meal.

Given that his is NC BBQ, I can't really accurately judge it, but let's suffice it to say that I'll be stopping at a Smithfield's to try some of their freshly smoked meat on my first 'cue trip to the Carolinas. Thanks SCNB!

- BBQ Snob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smithfield's is the Sonny Bryan's of North Carolina.

Lisa said...

Haha, what a fun review of our Carolina bar-b-q! Enjoy your NC bbq tour when you get to make it :-)

Columbaire said...

Daniel -
It's heartwarming to see that you properly abbreviate imitations of barbecue. It's sort of like Texas - properly abbreviated Texas.

I see on your map that you've been to Pittsburg. Now that you have, you can stop calling sausage made elsewhere "hot links". There are 254 counties officially in Texas - 255 counting Perdido, which we do. Good sausage is probably made in 200 of them. Great sausage is made in 100 or more. Hot Links come from Camp County. I don't know of any joints east of US 69 or north of US 82 that serve hot links. Do you?

Ed.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT