Saturday, April 16, 2011

Smokie's Bar-B-Q


DALLAS: Smokie's Bar-B-Q
6869 Frankford Rd.

Dallas, TX 75252

972-815-8500

Open M-Sat 10:30-8:00, Sun 10:30-6:30

www.bbq-delivery.com


Delivery is certainly not a new concept in food service, but I've rarely seen a BBQ joint that specializes in it. Smokie's shares the front half of a convenience store with the main check-out counter, but a large part of their business is done through deliveries made by the owner and pitmaster. I placed my order inside and took a spot at one of a few tables. While you wait for your order, you can peruse the aisles of African and Indian spices, or grab some beef biltong out of the cooler.



Brisket was smoky and well seasoned, and showed real potential. Unfortunately, the meat was a bit dry and over tender. A trip around the microwave just before serving probably didn't help. Ribs also had good smoke, but were also overcooked. The meat was tender and moist, but came too easily from the bone. Sausage had good spice, but the casing was chewy rather than snappy. Sides of previously frozen corn and canned sweet beans were afterthoughts, but the homemade cakes were dense, sweet and tasty.

Rating **
Smokie's Bar B-Q on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to disagree. i stopped at this place two weeks ago for some brisket. It was full of smoky flavor and was nice and tender.
His sauce is amazing. I typically dont eat a sweater sauce, but his was great.
Ive always been a Mike Anderson supporter here in Dallas, but this place will get some of my business now for sure.

ive been back twice now.

Brandon said...

I got a half pound of brisket, lean and fatty side. It had good smoke flavor, but it missed the mark. They cut with the grain on some slices. The meat was greyish brown and lacked the desired smoke rings. The owner said he smoked for 18 hours using hickory--so the flavor was there. Needs to work on rendering the fat or spend more on quality meat. I think it was Select grade.

Anonymous said...

The WORST service experience I have ever had. The online ordering process never went through I NEVER received my order after a long period of waiting. Once I called to cancel the order I was hung up on. I called back and said once again "I'm trying to cancel an order or figure out where it is at" he said without apology or attempt to figure anything out "okay well take of it, we will refund it" and nothing else. I asked as any person would "did you need any of my information? Or?" And was hung up on again. So I decided to drive 20 minutes to the location once I arrived I was greeted with 2 employees in the empty location and only the woman attempted to assist the man from the phone stared uncaring out the window. I told her I needed to cancel and order because I never received it and he from across the room (still staring out the window making no eye contact) said he already refunded it. I then reminded him that he never confirmed with me and hung up on me twice he lied about the call and said the last thing I said to him was "ok" he told me to get my ass out of his store and walked aggressively towards me as if he was going to physically assault me and told me "don't let the door hit my ass on the way out" I wish I would have let him hit me so I could sue him and shut the business down. I wouldn't recommend the business based in this maybe the food was good but I never got the chance to taste it. Nor did I get an apology for the delivery issues or refund communication issues. Terrible.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT