Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mann's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que


AUSTIN: Mann’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que
8624 Research Blvd.

Austin, TX 78757

512-459-5077

Open Tue-Sat 11:30-8


A spot in Texas Monthly's Top 50 brings high expectations, so my mouth was watering after the disappointment at Texas Rib Kings down the street. Tuesday-Friday 11-3 were the temporary hours posted at the door, but there was no indication of the timeline for these hours. Upon ordering I was pleased that the pit boss quickly asked if I wanted lean brisket or "some with a little more flavor". I opted or the fatty brisket as well as two enormous spare ribs. As I paid the hefty total, the cashier offered me some complimentary strawberry ice cream...nice touch. As I settled in, I could smell the meat through the foil it was wrapped in. The brisket was outstanding with a deep black crust, a nice smokeline and wonderful smoky flavor throughout. The fat was well rendered, and the meat was tender and moist. This was just what I needed to restore my faith in Austin BBQ. Then I tried the ribs. What a disappointment. The meat smelled and tasted as if it had been stored in a steamer beyond its taste limit. The meat fell from the bone and the fat was well rendered, but the smokiness and overall flavor were missing. Usually a joint that can nail a brisket doles out god ribs without breaking a sweat, but not on this day. At least I got to finish it off with some free ice cream.

Rating ***
Mann's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

smokinronniesbbq said...

i wanna try these guy's out next austin road trip...

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT