Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hobbi's Bar-B-Q


IRVING: Hobbi’s Bar-B-Q 5459
N Macarthur Blvd
Irving, TX 75038
972-870-1227
Open M-F 10:30-6


I've waited longer in lines for roller coasters. Its not that there was a swarm of people, I counted only 10 people ahead of me when I walked in, but the severe inefficiencies with the service kept me from my food for a full 15 minutes. Orders are placed with the man serving the meat, but he was forced to leave the line and retreat to the kitchen to man the toaster, and toasted bread was included in nearly every order. When I finally received my plate of ribs, brisket, cabbage, sweet potatoes and spicy sauce, I was starving. I plowed into the sugary potatoes and the tender cabbage which were both excellent. The brisket slices were picture perfect with good crust, a substantial smoke line, and a well rendered line of fat. The intense smokiness and salty rub created a robust flavor in these moist and tender slices. The ribs were not so picture perfect. Instead of slicing the large spare ribs between the bones, they were macerated into greasy, fatty chunks of pork that required minor surgery to separate meat from fat. Little smoke was evident, and the overall flavor suggested that the meat had been stored for a while after smoking. With a line that moves this slow, don't waste your time getting anything but the brisket.

Rating **
Hobbi's Barbeque on Urbanspoon

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT