Monday, September 3, 2012

Tony and Me

This evening will be my television debut with Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations. This episode kicks off the last season of the show before Tony heads off to CNN. Back in March they shot the show during SXSW, and I was able to drive down to Austin and show Tony and the crew around two of my favorite barbecue joints in the state: Franklin Barbecue and JMueller BBQ. You'll see these two destinations along with many others in the episode, but I wanted to share some of the photos from the two days. Most all of the shots from Franklin Barbecue were taken by my excellent photographer Nicholas McWhirter, as were all of the photos in our upcoming book Prophets of Smoked Meat.

Breakfast at Franklin

In line with my agent, David Hale Smith

Tony arrives

Trying to sound intelligent

Cameraman Zach Zamboni and producer Jared Andrukanis

Let's eat!

Nicholas McWhirter, Anthony Bourdain, David Hale Smith, Me

Brisket, ribs and sausage at Franklin

Producer Josh Ferrell giving me the shirt off his back

Josh Ferrell and I trading game worn jerseys

The panel at SXSW

Me and ZPZ social media director Helen Cho





Tony and I at JMueller BBQ

The feast at JMueller BBQ

When dining with Tony, fine bourbon just shows up on the table.

A big thanks to Anthony Bourdain for having me on the show and hopefully making me look intelligent this evening. The whole crew was great to work with, so I know the show will be great. I hope you enjoy it.

- BBQ Snob

11 comments:

Jason said...

you had me at Tony Bourdain...i stayed for the Garrison Brother.

Gene said...

Congratulations brother! Now you're Prime Time, very exciting!!

ultradave said...

Hey right on -- you were informative and awesome! Good job man, you should totally be proud of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I had a great dinner but now my mouth is watering.
Franklin BBQ is on my bucket list

Moto Travel News said...

Congrats! Watching the show now. You did good.

Two Party Planners said...

Watched the episode and discovered your blog. Great find!

Anonymous said...

Been following you since your first posts Snob. I’ve watched you go from a complete BBQ neophyte (albeit an enthusiastic one) to fully figuring it out and achieving the glory of supping with Bourdain. Dude, you’ve come a long way and it’s been a pleasure to watch you grow in stature. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog immensely because I’ve been a Texas BBQ freak for several decades. Thanks for doing what I never had the talent or guts to do.

Doug Zedler said...

Way to go, Snob! I had my parents DVR the show (since I don't have cable or a DVR), and I can't wait to watch it.

Mark said...

I can only repeat the good things in the above posts. You are a GREAT representative for BBQ.

Brad Shaw said...

Great episode, congrats Daniel on all of your success. Can't wait to read the book.

Unknown said...

You nailed it pretty good. Just read your blog entry on California BBQ. It's not completely off, though some California BBQ's do a good job with smoke, I've found them on the whole to be highly inconsistent. If you head out to North California I'll collect a list of places to try for you (House of Soul Food - Santa Clara & Henry's Hi-Life - San Jose) to hit and maybe a few to avoid (House of Chicken and Ribs - Antelope, CA)

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT