Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Smokey G's


VAN ALSTYNE: Smoky G’s BBQ
U.S. Hwy 75 at Hwy 121

Van Alstyne, TX

903-815-4430

Open Tues-Sat 11-7


Smoky G's is housed in a mobile shack sitting on the edge of a Shell station parking lot just off Highway 75. A crowd of patrons sat beneath the ordering window when I arrived, but my order was quickly taken. No ribs on the bone or sliced beef are available here, but the brisk business makes it hard to argue with the limited choices. Waiting around for my two sammies (about 10 minutes) I chatted with a Van Alstyne local who stops by at least once a week to get a sack of eat and sauce on bread. He mentioned that the service today was a bit slower than usual.

Finally, the owner came to the window with my white bag full of goodness, and I headed back to the car to chow down.

Rib sandwich & chopped beef sandwich


Unwrapping the sauce soaked foil, I found two sandwiches that looked nearly identical. I now realized why he told me the rib sandwich was on the bottom. Neither sandwich had much smokiness, but both were served on crisp buttery buns and had a punch of flavor from the liberally applied sauce. The beef had a bit too much fat for my liking while the rib meat was silky smooth, almost too smooth after having been removed from the bones and shredded. One thing these sandwiches were not lacking is size. They were both huge, and stuffed liberally with about 1/2 pound of meat. I'd return for another sandwich pit stop on my way up north, but I don't think a special trip is warranted. I also can't really rate this joint given the limited menu.

- BBQ Snob

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT