Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cowboy Chuck Wagon BBQ


SAN AUGUSTINE: Cowboy Chuck Wagon BBQ
NE Corner of 96 and 21
San Augustine, TX 75972
No Phone
Open ?

Update: This joint is CLOSED.

2012: Food trucks are all the rage these days, and I usually have high hopes for roadside barbecue stands. Standing in a damp parking area on the corner of two state highways in San Augustine, I was wishing for the best. There hadn't been much in this part of East Texas to get excited about, but Cowboy Chuck Wagon looked like it might ease my pain. Not so much.


Luckily there was a decent link of steamed boudin (there wasn't a hint of smoke) and a nice mashed potato salad, because the rest was pretty awful. Chewy strips of undercooked beef may not have even been brisket. Several slices of bright red hot links again had no smoke and the muddy flavor of the gamey filling made us all stop eating after just a slice. This food truck needs some work.

Rating *

2 comments:

whargoul said...

Although I my search for decent Que wasn't as thorough as yours, it sounds like you're having about the same amount of luck as I've had finding good Que in East Texas.

Mike C said...

Used to be a place in SA called Hilltop BBQ. Started out in 79 as a shack just east of town. I used to (literally) run 4 miles round trip just to get their hot link sandwich. They moved to a building on 'the circle'. It never was as good, but I'd stop every time I'd go back just to remember the good old days. I think it's closed now. No good bbq in town since.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT