Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hashknife on the Chisholm


PEADENVILLE: Hashknife on the Chisholm
8131 N. Highway 281 (@ Hwy 254)
Salesville, TX 76486
940-325-5150
Open Tues-Thur 11-8, F-Sat 11-9


This joint has been on my list for a long time. Back in June 2008 Texas Monthly's "Top 50 BBQ Joints" listed Hashknife on the Chisholm, and a name like that really peaked my attention. Peadenville, Texas is barely a blip on the map at the crossroads of two state highways. Besides this joint and a gas station on the opposite corner, Peadenville is made up entirely of horse and cattle farms. As I neared the crossroads, the scent of smoke filled the air and the word "BARBECUE" come into focus, and my mouth started to water.



Orders are taken at the counter inside, then delivered to your table. The coveted three meat plate was offered, so I took them up on it. A plate piled high with ribs, brisket, beans and cole slaw arrived as I breathed in the intoxicating aroma. Hot links arrived a few minutes later after a slight mix-up. The moist brisket , smoked in a Southern Pride over pecan and oak, was falling apart a bit, but the fat was well rendered. A good bark and nice smokeline provided a good depth a flavor and great smokiness. Pecan smoked ribs has a great crust from a slightly sweet rub. The meat was moist and tender with robust smoky flavor. Those late hot links had a good snap to go along with the smoky, beefy flavor coupled with a black pepper and bit of heat. The homemade potato salad and kicked up ranch style beans were a good addition.



FULL DISCLOSURE: As I neared the door to leave, the pit master "Big" Jim McLennan hollered at me. He said he reads the blog and gave me a t-shirt (which oddly enough misspells the town's anem as "Pedenville") and asked for a good rating. I told him his meat had already done the talking, but the shirt was a nice touch.

Rating ****
Hash Knife on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

Jim Enright, Dallas said...

I went here with high hopes only to have them dashed to pieces. I had 3 meat combo, turkey, brisket and sausage. Incl. tea, it was over $14. Well, the turkey was a cheap processed kind with no flavor at all. Sausage was bland, brisket was good but not enough. Sauce was OK, not great, too sweet for me. Potato salad and beans were best of all. I can't believe this place got 4 stars - I would give it less than 2. Forget this place!

Anonymous said...

you can always tell when there from dallas,they order turkey,bitch about the price,want a free drink,and get mad when ya dont give it to them..and drive a leased mercedes,that they cant afford!!!!!!!!!!!

BBQ Snob said...

Simmer down now. I'm from the Big D too, and I own my Audi!

ChatlieT said...

Went to Hashknife on 08/29 to try their BBQ offering. I ordered ribs and brisket with some beans and fries. I found the ribs to be nice and moist with a light hint of smoke. The brisket was very disappointing on my visit. It was dry with little or no smoke flavor with the fat not rendered. Had to use their sauce on the meat to add moisture after I cut the fat off. The beans were very good as well as the fries. On this visit it was definitely not a 4 star.

Unknown said...

My fiance and I do rock hounding (fossil hunting) and happened to randomly drive by this place.

OMG. We have driven out that way now 4 or 5 times just to get some more BBQ. The people are nice, the beer is cold and the food is amazing.

I have told many of my friends to check the place out if they ever want an adventure or happen to be craving some really good food.

Kelly Kay said...

My husband and I went there last night for dinner. I have to say that the rules were indeed eye catching. I felt like I was in pre-school and was expecting the teacher to get the paddle out any minute. He ordered the ribs and I ordered the sausage. We live in Mineral Wells, and had heard nothing but good things about this place. I do have to say that at lunch time when most of the crowd is there I am sure the meat is good. At dinner recooked fries with to much seasoning, and reheated sausage and ribs that were cooked five hours ago with stale bread and seperated butter was not worth the time or $26 price tage for two people. I was turned off even more when I went up to order my meal and saw the cook or pit boss back there licking his fingers as he was placing prepackaged salad dressing over a salad just before it was served to the customer. Gross! I grabbed a sandwich when I got home. My husband who can plow through anything dead did also. Save your time and save your money. Go to Mesquite Pit it is much better, and a better deal. You don't have to pay for water.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I live in the area and we have given this place 2 diff trys cause anyone can have a bad day.Dry over priced and a waste of our money.Potatoe salad taste like it came from a dist.Sauce was ok.Sorry folks but we wont go back.

Anonymous said...

This whole Comment board goes to show you that if you give people great food and great service, those people might tell one person. If you give people something below their standard, they will tell the whole world. I ate at this restraunt and thought it was amazing. It pissed me off reading these comments so I actually replied. There is a million places to get BBQ in Texas, don't muddy up a comment board with negative publicity, instead, go F*** yourself with your favorite sausage from your favorite BBQ place. Maybe then, it won't be too cold, too expensive, or even handled wrong.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT