Wednesday, December 29, 2010

BBQ in the News


Update: Ruby's re-opened this Monday. (earlier) A fire on Sunday, December 19th closed down Ruby's in Austin for the time being. Hopefully they'll complete the $25,000 in repairs and reopen soon.

None other than Anthony Bourdain weighed in on our local BBQ Gate in his end of year review. I think he took my side. Thanks to the Observer for letting me know.

The Big Texan still has the 72 ounce steak challenge, but they're also adding a progressive team rib eating competition this year. Get your team of four entered soon since the competition begins January 11th.

I wrote about Mangalitsa pork early last year, then I was able to use some to develop a recipe with pork belly and oysters a few weeks ago. Now the New York Times is betting that it'll be the next 'it' pig. I think Morgan Weber at Revival Meats in Yoakum, Texas would agree.

A new BBQ joint opened in Ohio with possibly the worst name I could think of for a serious BBQ joint. 'Fast Casual BBQ' opened recently serving what they bill as Ohio style BBQ.

Finally, does anyone know who John Espy is? He's local to DFW and has done a BBQ list for Dallas. I'm just always curious about other BBQ fanatics.

- BBQ Snob

6 comments:

Don O. said...

Wow. Sorry to hear about Ruby's. I've always enjoyed their brisket and fried potatoes. I hope they have a quick and full recovery!

Scott--DFW said...

That list doesn't appear to be the work of a BBQ fanatic.

Doug Zedler said...

Ditto what Scott said. Cool, although brief, mention by Bourdain.

MRL said...

Don't know who John Espy is, but can't take too seriously with Spring Creek on the list. I did enjoy the food at Big Rack's though, but certainly not No. 1 in the area. Support the effort, but why do so many people spell potato with an "e" on the end? I digress.

MRL said...

Also just noticed the address in this top 10 list for Rudy's is incorrect. That's another joint's address. The longer I look the more problems I find.

kindofabigdeal said...

The article is calling that Ohio joint "Fat Casual." I'm not sure if that's better or worse...

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT