Thursday, March 18, 2010

FOOD WARS Texas BBQ style


Update: As previously reported, the episode of Food Wars featuring the battle of Lockhart BBQ was not aired on March 16th, but be there, on the Travel Channel to watch on Tuesday, March 23rd (video promo here). As described by the Travel Channel "Camille's food warring conquest brings her to Lockhart, Texas as she seeks to square off on a lengthy barbecue and family debate between Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market. On Tuesday, March 23 at 10PM (E/T), Travel Channel and host Camille Ford are on a mission to settle this feud and proclaim the King of BBQ once and for all. They both look and sound incredible, but in a blind taste test, five panelists will try both BBQ and declare a winner. Which one will it be?"



If you know your Texas BBQ, then you're already familiar with the storied and personal rivalry between Kreuz and Smitty's in Lockhart, but it will be fun to tune in and see who the judges choose and to see the arguments that ensue. I know I'll be tuning in, but I'll fill you in with all the details here on Wednesday if you miss it.

- BBQ Snob

Earlier: I just got this note from Wyat McSpadden, author of the incredible Texas BBQ, who will be featured on the upcoming episode of Food Wars on the Travel Channel. He writes:

"On March, 16 the Travel Channel will air it's BBQ Smackdown episode of the new series FOOD WARS. This episode will feature the epic rivalry between Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market in Lockhart, TX. I was selected by Kreuz to be their "Superfan". This gave me an opportunity to make a complete fool of myself for the cameras and the cause of selecting the best BBQ joint in Texas and hence, the world. Mark the date on your calendar, it's sure to be a hoot."

Wyatt's on the right


You'll see a recap here after the episdode airs. I can't wait!

- BBQ Snob

7 comments:

gfinelogo said...

Not really a contest if they don't include Black's......

Anonymous said...

Black's BBQ has the best beef brisket of all. I ate at all 3 restaurants in one day. 1-Black's 2- Smitty's 3-Krutz

Anonymous said...

They were both nasty. Blacks isn't good either

Cristina Ramos said...

I can't wait to see this episode to see the results. My husband and I tried both on the same day and we did not agree on the winner. He picked Smittys and I picked Kreuz. We love both of them. We also had Black's on a separate trip and we were very pleased with their bbq too. Overall, Lockhart has the best bbq hands down.

denden said...

Its a no brainer the best all around bbq is 15 miles south of Lockhart at City market in Luling. I do love a pork chop from either Smittys or Kreuz, but the brisket is hit and miss too often at Kreuz. But love em both when they are on point. Blacks is shite, never had a good brisket, but enjoy their jal-cheese sausage and blueberry pie.

Jacob said...

Black's is good, but the best it is not. I sadly I have a freidn from lockhart who was their when they filmed it and let slip who won. I wan not happy with her and gave her the silent treatment for awhile. I won't spoil it here (like she did for me, ahh!). I'm still looking forward to the episode. If I was a voter from the multiple times I have been. Smittys easily, followed by Kruenz thanks to the should clot and beef ribs, than blacks thanks to the brisket, and finally Chisholm Trail thanks to the sides and super cheap prices.

Jacob said...

Please excuse my horrible spelling on the comment above, I posted from my phone, so sorry.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT