Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Food Wars: Lockhart


The latest chapter of Food Wars on the Travel Channel has concluded today by choosing a winner of the Schmidt family feud that boiled over in 1999. As Pat Sharpe explains with easel and pointer, after their father passed, the siblings argued over the rent costs being charged by sister Nina. In a huff, brother Rick took the nearly 100 year old business to a new location down the road, while sister Nina held on to the old building where Kreuz originated. In less than a year, this small town in Texas had grown by one in the stellar BBQ category after the old Kreuz reopened as Smitty's, and the new Kreuz Market soon followed.

In this episode, host Camille Ford first visits Kreuz Market with it's die hard fan, Wyatt McSpadden. Wyatt explains the finer points of Kreuz sausage and brisket, but never gets the chance to extoll his beloved big chop.

On her way over to Smitty's, the host refers to this incredible BBQ as "grilled meat" for the second time in the episode. I can't believe the editors let that slip twice.

After a brief conversation with the always amiable John Fullilove, Camille meets with the ardent Smitty's defender, Mike Watson who refers to Smitty's as the Mecca of meat. After sampling the brisket and sausage, Camille doesn't let on which one she might prefer.

After the cases have been made, it's time for the blind taste test where again brisket and sausage will be the subject of the taste bud debate. Both of the superfans ended up choosing their proclaimed favorite, while the rest of the panel of five gave the edge to Kreuz by a slim margin.

If you missed the first airing, you can check it out again when it re-airs at midnight tonight, or at 7:30 am on Sunday, March 28th.

- BBQ Snob

13 comments:

@LE_DESIGN said...

LOVED it. Thanks for tweeting about the show's premiere. Otherwise we would have missed it. Funny thing is we tried Kreuz, Smitty's and Black's last week during SXSW and who are we kidding, they're ALL GOOD!

BBQ Snob said...

My question is why choose? I eat at them both every trip I take to Lockhart.

Don O. said...

I understand the concept of the show, but I wish they'd included Black's and maybe City Market in Luling. Now that would have been a real war!

Plano Mark said...

I enjoyed the show and the history of the feud. I haven't been to Lockhart, but I rooted for Smitty's since they had the original old location. I also liked the way they do their sausage. Either way, Lockhart is the winner for having top BBQ.

Blue Moon said...

Snob:

I felt the same pain when she said "grill" and "grilled." I think I woke my wife up the second time cuz I yelled at the TV "IT'S NOT GRILLED!!! SAY 'SMOKED' OR 'BARBECUED!!!'" Oh well, it is the cross the snob of anything must bear when laypeople describe something like this. I know it was only 30 mins, but I was hoping they would talk about temps and time. Also, aren't pork ribs part of the holy trinity?!?!?! Maybe should have been the tie breaker.

Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

The premise of the show "Food Wars" does not really let them have lot of choice in who is paired each time...the family feud is what made this pairing work. Frankly while those are two good BBQ places City Market in Luling is generally ranked as better in most every area by contests like the Texas Monthly BBQ challenge.

Someone who grew up eating meat from all of them...

Don O. said...

Yup, I agree with what you said, anonymous. It was more of the show concept than a real contest. I also agree on City Market in Luling. It's my overall favorite spot and I actually prefer Black's over Kreuz or Smitty's in Lockhart. However I will say that Kreuz jalapeno cheese sausage is my favorite sausage.

smokemasterone said...

I would say this one was almost a forgone conclusion in that they only had a single-bite sampling from each. Kreuz's bbq has consistently been moister and much saltier for me. The impact of that really gives you an advantage in this context. However, I think the best of Smitty's makes a much better meal.

JC said...

I happened to hit Lockhart the day before the show aired. The only thing I had at both places was brisket (I already prefer Kreuz's sausage). On that particular day, Kreuz smoked (pun intended) Smitty's. Kreuz's brisket was moist & smoky, Smitty's had a notable lack of smoke.

bruce said...

Is any of the big 3 in Lockhart known for having the best ribs? All I ever hear about are the briskets and the sausages. I never hear anyone talk about the ribs. I love brisket, but ribs have always been my favorite when it comes to bbq. Anyone know or have an opinion on who has the best in Lockhart?

BBQ Snob said...

I've always enjoyed Smittys ribs with their slightly sweet glaze that's added just before serving. It's work quite well with all that black pepper.

Sam said...

I prefer Kreuz - I started eating there back in the 80's. Even though I like the original location (lots of atmosphere) somehow my loyalty stays with Kreuz. I like their shoulder a lot, and I think their meat is more consistent.

herebedragons said...

I went to Lockhart with the aim of eating in all four barbecue joints, but in the end only managed to make two - Smitty's and Black's (who were awesome). You can read more on my Lockhart BBQ adventures if you want!

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT