Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Smokehouse


SAN ANTONIO: The Smokehouse
3306 Roland Rd

San Antonio, TX 78210

210-333-9548

Open Tues-Sat 11-8, Sun 11-6

www.thesmokehousesa.com


As I pondered my order, a surly pitmaster noticed my FCGBBQ t-shirt, and made some smart comments about me spying on his joint to get some tips for mine. He didn't know I was just there to review it, so it was great to talk with afterward to tell him how good it was. After the jovial verbal sparring, I ordered up some ribs, sliced brisket and sliced pork.



Brisket was cut from the fatty end. There was plenty of fat left on the slices, but it was all well rendered to make the slices meltingly tender. The bark was well formed, and the heavy salt rub combined with 24 hours in an all mesquite fired smoker created a brittle and dry crust, but coupled with the moist meat, it made for a great combination. The pork came from the shoulder. It had well rendered fat throughout the slice and a great bark. The overall flavor was so good that it's got to be some of the best pork shoulder I've eaten. Meaty spare ribs had a great bark, but could have been smoked a bit longer to get the meat more tender. The rub, if any, was light and allowed the flavor of the pork and smoke to shine through.

When the meal was over, I gave the pitmaster my card, and let him know how well I liked it. He laughed and just welcomed us to come back for some more great smoked meat. I think I'll take him up on that repeat visit.

Rating ****

Smokehouse on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you're reviewing some San Antonio joints. We're the redheaded stepchild of the Texas BBQ circuit I feel like. Next time you are in the Alamo city, be sure to visit Augie's in the park.

Melisa said...

I don't know if Daniel was with you on your trip here but this is the place that used to be Bob's. That one that I said was so worth the trip back when Bob was there :)

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT