Sunday, November 14, 2010

BBQ Coming Soon

Dallas, specifically Oak Cliff, has a wealth of BBQ joints in the works. This area has a pretty low concentration of barbecue options, but that will all change within the next couple of months. The first one I came upon during yesterday's scouting mission was Lockhart Smokehouse on Davis St. in the Bishop Arts District. It's slated for a January 2011 opening and there was plenty of sawing and hammering on site as I walked by.

Lockhart Smokehouse


Luckie's Smokehouse is also on Davis St. west of Lockhart Smokehouse. This jobsite also had plenty of action going on, and I got to chat with the owner who said he'd gotten quite a few inspections out of the way, and hopes to have things completed for a mid-December opening. I was none too excited about my trip to their first location (since closed), but based on the samples I tried at the Oak Cliff BBQ competition a few months back, I'm hopeful about what might be coming out of this smokehouse.

Luckie's Smokehouse


Papa Joe's is just off Edgefield on the north side of Illinois. No word on the opening date, but I know they've had a certificate of occupancy since February. Looking through the windows it looks like the finishing touches are being put into place.

Papa Joe's Backyard BBQ


The one I know the least about is on Denley just north of Record's Bar-B-Que. There's nothing on the building to clue you in on an opening date, but I know it's going to be called D Jackson BBQ.

D Jackson BBQ


I'd be happy if anyone could help fill in any of the blanks. I know we all are hoping that these joints will bring some great 'cue to Dallas.

- BBQ Snob

3 comments:

BlackDogBBQ said...

Cant wait to try Lockhart Smokehouse, will be there the opening day. HIGH expectations for this place, hope they can step it up. Dallas needs some great BBQ spots, we are truly lacking.

MRL said...

Can't wait to try Lockhart Smokehouse either, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up for any new joint after so many disappointments. I had high expectations for Coopers in Fort Worth. What a letdown that was!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Papa Joe's Backyard BBQ has opened for business but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet. I hope you give it a spin because, despite all the bbq talk around here, the Oak Cliff cool kids have barely acknowledged it. I'll let you speculate why that is.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT