Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bolsa - Pulled Pork


Bolsa is a newish resturant in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas. Bolsa's owners also own the Cliff Cafe, and have recently announced that they plan to give that place a face lift and open a semi-upscale BBQ joint. Upon reading about these plans, I immediately wondered about their BBQ credentials. I noticed on their lunch menu that they offered a pulled pork sandwich, Carolina style, so I headed on over to give it try at lunch today.

I sat at the bar, and ordered up my sandwich. I was able to pass the time watching Cocktail and sipping on some iced tea along with a server provided sample of Thomas Kemper's Root Beer which is sweetened with honey...incredible. The food arrived quickly, and I dug right in. I snapped this shot a few bites in.


The bun was soft and buttery. The meat was truly pulled rather than chopped, but it had been baked rather than smoked. Also odd was the sweet tomatoey sauce lacking a kick of mustard or venigar so prominent in Carolina 'cue. The cole slaw on top was well seasoned and was finely shredded allowing it to hold tightly to the meat. While the conglomeration may not have been traditional, the combinations of flavors was satisfying, and I'd order it again.

Funny enough, the most memorable thing on the plate were the ridiculously good pickle slices piled in one corner. I ordered up a to-go container so I could enjoy more at home. I learned from the server that they were Nathan's (the hot dog folks) sweet horseradish pickles, but I can't determine if any local stores carry them. I'll track them down as soon as I finish my stash.
- BBQ Snob

5 comments:

runDMC said...

Sprouts carries them and Boar's Head, which makes a similar product is carried by Kroger.

BBQ Snob said...

Thanks run. I need to get over to Sprouts.

runDMC said...

Never have found the Boar's Head so I ordered them from Specs in Houston. Will compare. Sure do like the Nathan's.

runDMC said...

Nathan's wins hands down. They are a little sweeter with more spice. The Boar's Head are crisper but much more subdued in flavor.

BBQ Snob said...

Agreed, but the Sprouts at Forest/Marsh didn't have the Nathan's. Which Sprouts did you find them at?

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT