Friday, July 10, 2009

Jack Jordan's Bar-B-Que

ODESSA: Jack Jordan's Bar-B-Que
1501 John Ben Shepperd Pkwy

Odessa, TX 79761

432-362-7890

Open M-Sat 11-9


Here's a story about why I love fellow Texans. A college friend of mine (native Texan) traveled from her home in Brooklyn to visit us in Dallas. She came via Odessa, Texas from visting her own family. When she arrived at my door she hurried to the kitchen with a green collapsible cooler and instructed me to open it quickly. Confused and excited, I gripped this curiously warm cooler and unzipped it as quickly as I could. Immediately a smokiness filled the kitchen (oh, it couldn't be) as I peered at three large hunks of foiled covered mystery. Unwrapping the foil I discovered (oh yes, it could be) sliced brisket, then pork ribs, then sausage! Christmas cometh early to the Vaughn household.

As we dined, standing around the kitchen counter, Lindsay stood patiently for my opinion of her family's favorite BBQ joint. Well, the brisket could have used more time on the smoker to up the tenderness and to render the fat a little better. The smokiness was there, and good flavor resided in that crust, but the meat well below the crust was a bit roast-beefy.



Ribs were tender with well rendered fat. the meat was well seasoned, but the outside seemed to be too moist for a good crust to form. Despite that, the meat was still smoky,



The sausage may have been straight from the Sysco truck, but this proprietor knows what a good dose of smoke can do to transform an otherwise average sausage. The flavor from that smoke went deep into the juicy (fatty) meat created a complex flavor not normally found in this variety of sausage.



Overall, this meat was good if not great. But then, this was the first time I've had meat that travelled 350 miles and didn't have to be warmed at the tail end of that trip. Even with the distance, this meat held up well in the eyes of myself and my fellow diners, and did nothing to deter me from welcoming Meat Christmas anytime it's offered.

Rating ***
Jack Jordan Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

C Key said...

I am not the expert the Snob is so I am going to say the plate I got on 1/8/10 was a bad day at the pit but then I had been to Pappy's in Monahans on 12/30/09 and Meshack's in Garland 1/2/09 so maybe I am just spoiled.

J Key said...

Friday my father and I made a trip to Odessa and sought out Jack Jordans Barbeque for lunch. The sausage was better than most, considering I generally find barbeque sausage to be dry and too spicy. Johnson’s sausage was definitely juicy and flavorful. The brisket however was rather lacking. The meat was incredibly dry and therefore lacked in flavor and texture which even their sauce which was good could not cover. The rest of the food was delicious with the mashed potatoes striking a particular high note in my book. Overall, I found the food to be somewhat disappointing mainly because of the brisket.

Anonymous said...

This is the worst BBQ in Texas. how they stayed in business so long I don't know. their food was dry, an employee was eating out of their back line with their hands, heard fowl language and rude jokes coming from the back. which my son heard. don't waste your time or money here. I was told it was a family restaurant.... so wrong.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT