Friday, August 6, 2010

Empa Mundo

Sure the photo looks a little messy, but we were hungry when we made our way from DFW Airport to Empa Mundo, so quite a few bites were taken before I snapped the photo. The owner's daughter sent me a message through the website that I needed to come in an try their Texas BBQ Brisket empanada. I now that was quite a stretch for the BBQ Snob, but I do like some well made empanadas. These were perfect.

We ordered a huge array, and the standouts were the Criolla, Chicken, Texas Brisket (baked, not smoked), and the night's special filled with mushroom and onion. A solid finish to this wealth of savory goodness was a couple of sweet guava and cheese filled golden orbs. Order one per person, because you will not want to share.



A bonus to all the great empanadas was the cordial owner, Raul. He sat and talked with us for the entire meal sharing his personal and business history, then his wife brought over three mini empanadas for us to take home for our daughter. Thoughtful proprietors and good food make for quite a combo. I just wish this place was closer to my house.

I'm not alone in my high opinion either. The Yelpers (all 34 reviews) are loving this place with the only less than 4-star review complaining that they need to do more than empanadas. Balderdash! If the empanadas are this good, with such varied ingredients, I see no need to expand on the menu. Do one thing and do it well, Raul. Keep it up and I'll be back, even if the brisket isn't smoked.

- BBQ Snob

2 comments:

DougJohnson said...

My wife and I stopped by for lunch on Saturday. We had the lunch special -- two empanadas, a dessert, and a drink for $6.50. We had the ham and cheese and brisket empanadas. Both were very tasty. I had a dolce de leche and coconut cake and she had a pineapple pie. Also good. -- Doug

Anonymous said...

Dropped by here for dinner last Friday. I also had the 6.50 special. We tried the ham & cheese, chicken, brisket, and beef empanadas. All in all, great stuff.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT