Monday, August 30, 2010

Green Mesquite Chicken Wings


Green Mesquite
serves some hot wings that are some of the most incredible wings I've eaten. You may have seen them on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and they're worth the accolades. My wife and I had just had a burger and fries across the street, but I convinced her that these wings were dessert worthy. We bellied up to the bar, and ordered the smallest portion - 8 wings. They arrived minutes later with a side of creamy homemade ranch.



They were gone in seconds.



These wings are both smoked and fried, and the sauce has heat and sweet making for a great blend of flavors not normally found in the usual single note hot wings. The thin ranch seemed to be made for dipping rather than dressing, and the coolness was a good compliment. My mouth is literally getting moist as I write. Luckily, I can make a return trip in just a few weeks when I'm back in town.

On a trip to the bathroom, I noticed a familiar sign from the cover of Follow the Smoke. Green Mesquite is just full of surprises.



- BBQ Snob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So just where is this joint? The address isn't appearing.

BBQ Snob said...

Sorry. It's in Austin. Click on the "Green Mesquite" link that opens the post.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT