Thursday, August 5, 2010

Leon's World's Finest BBQ


GALVESTON: Leon's World's Finest BBQ
5427 Broadway

Galveston, TX 77551

409-744-0070

Open Daily 11-7:30

www.leonsbbq.com/


Traveling down I-45 into Galveston, the road quickly turns from interstate into Broadway. Just a few blocks after is a small wood sided building that could be mistaken for a house if not for the sign out front that claims not only Texas's finest BBQ, but "World's Finest BBQ". I was about to find out.

Side dishes do not usually get a high billing on the pages if this site, but something about Leon's "stepped up" rice that I still think about since my visit. The combination of tender rice, stewed celery, onions and a few other veggies along with a nice spicy kick made for one memorable dish.



I placed a to-go order for ribs, brisket, greens and the aforementioned rice. The greens were on the bitter end and had zing, but paled in comparison to the rice. The meat wasn't bad either. Ribs were firm and meaty with great flavor from a black pepper rub, and a great level of smoke. The meat could have been more moist, but I finished them off even though I knew I had plenty of 'cue in my near future. Brisket lacked a smokering, but had a dense black crust. Despite the smokering, the moist and tender slices had plenty of smoke. There was plenty of well rendered fat in each slice, and plenty of flavor. This was some fine 'cue. Leon, if you're out there, and willing to share that stepped up rice recipe, let me know.

Rating ****
Leon's World's Finest Barbeque on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Chris said...

I don't have the good book in front of me, but I do recall a recipe for stepped up rice in the Legends of Texas BBQ Cookbook. I think it may be what you are looking for.

BBQ Snob said...

That's great news. I'll check as soon as I get home.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT