Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scott's Pulled Pork

After writing the review for Leon's in Galveston, I couldn't stop thinking about their kicked up rice. Then a commenter suggested the recipe may reside in Legends of Texas Barbecue. I found it right there on page 130. Now I just needed an excuse to make it. Later that day, my friend Scott invited me over for a smoked pork shoulder, and he asked if I could bring a side item. It was destiny.



The stepped up rice was a good addition, but it was the pork shoulder that stole the show at the dinner table. The huge piece of meat was perfectly seasoned with a rub mixture heavy on the black pepper. Every bite was incredibly moist from all the well rendered fat, and it was fall apart tender. I probably ate about a pound of meat before the night was over. Eight hours in a Brinkmann bullet smoker over hickory and lump charcoal was just the ticket. I can't remember a portion of pulled pork that was any better than this one.



And that rice, it was pretty simple. Fine chop a mixture of fresh veggies in the food processor, saute in peanut oil, then stir in cooked white rice. Tasty and simple. I think it will remain in my regular rotation.

- BBQ Snob

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT